[Blindmath] Creating graph and charts

Richard Baldwin baldwin at dickbaldwin.com
Wed Feb 29 16:48:41 UTC 2012

Recently Amanda and I have been using a special backing board made of a
rubberized material along with ordinary printer paper and a ball point pen
to create "quick and dirty" tactile graphics. It does an amazingly good job
and is easy to use. Amanda can identify the brand of the device if you are
interested.

I would think that provided a sheet of embossed graph paper, a blind
student using this device, a straight edge, and a ball point pen could
create graphs and charts that would be just as good as and possibly better
than those created using push pens and rubber bands. And the good part is
that the student could turn her homework in just like all of the other
students and keep the resulting chart or graph forever instead of having to
tear it down in order to create the next one.

Regarding labels, although I know absolutely nothing about Braille, since
it uses ordinary paper, or heavy braille paper, I would think that the
student would be able to label it in Braille using a stylus and anvil.

Dick Baldwin

--
Richard G. Baldwin (Dick Baldwin)
Home of Baldwin's on-line Java Tutorials

Professor of Computer Information Technology
Austin Community College
(512) 223-4758
mailto:Baldwin at DickBaldwin.com
http://www.austincc.edu/baldwin/