[Blindmath] Basic mathematical concept question

David Tseng davidct1209 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 21:17:42 UTC 2012

I personally don't think it's the mechanics that gives blind math
students trouble. It's rather the intuition concerning a topic or
concept as it's usually conveyed in a highly visual manner.

Your example, for instance, is a linear transformation of a matrix of
pixels, in which you take differences between successive columns. The
intuition behind such operations is expressed as vectors in R^n. The
actual "picture" of the R^3 vector space, as an example isn't ever
really mentioned in the kind of explicit detail that I feel new blind
students need. Having the very tangible notion that you're "smoothing"
out a particular axis/dimension of the vectors is more
powerful/long-lasting than say taking differences.