[Blindmath] Math in Wikipedia

Neil Soiffer NeilS at dessci.com
Tue Oct 2 01:05:53 UTC 2012

MathPlayer doesn't address this.  We did it in a prototype, but Wikipedia
is moving (slowly) to using MathJax for MathML rendering.  There is an
experimental version of using MathJax for Wikipedia, and you can give it a
try.  Not all math is on the wikipedia pages is done with TeX (and hence
can be converted to MathML), some is "HTML math" (using sup, em, etc).

To use MathJax on Wikipedia, you need an account on wikipedia.  Go to some
wikipedia page besides the front page and there is a "create account" link
if you don't already have an account.  After creating the account, read the
instructions at this link for what you need to set:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Math/MathJax_testing

You will likely need to tell MathJax (via the right button content menu) to
use MathML (which causes MathPlayer to run).  It is under Math
Settings:MathML Renderer: MathML

I hope it works for you.  Some day, Wikipedia will turn this on by default.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~