[Blindmath] Questions on producing accessible diagrams using SVG

Pranav Lal pranav.lal at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 10:34:50 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I have a series of questions relating to the production of accessible
diagrams for STEM subjects.
We are producing these diagrams in scalable vector graphics. This is
because SVG can be incorporated into a DAISY book. The final output of
the project is a DAISY or epub book that has accessible math in the
form of MathML and accessible diagrams in the form of SVG.
1. To facilitate screen reader accessibility, we are adding labels in
the title attribute of each SVG element. Will these be printed in
Braille? We have Iveo and a Tiger. However, what about other
embossers? From what I have seen, labels on diagrams will have to be
duplicated once in the title attribute so that viewers such as Iveo
can read them and once outside the figure for Braille and or sighted
users by using the SVG text element.
2. What tools is everyone else using to produce tactile diagrams? We
are using inkscape to create SVG. This is significantly easier for
sighted producers.
3. As of this writing, the text of the book is being produced in word.
MathType is being used to generate the math. We keep the original math
figure and give an alternative text tag with a description. In
addition, there will be a link to a SVG file which will have the
tactile version of the figure. The idea is for the student to be able
to feel the diagram or load the file into Iveo or use that technology
to read the file. Is there a better approach?

Pranav