[Blindmath] Audio Calculus WAS Re: relearning calculus

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Thu Mar 21 13:59:01 UTC 2013

When I was at Iowa State University (1965-69) all of my electronics engineering, physics, chemistry, and higher-level calculus textbooks were recorded on tape, either by people working with the Iowa Commission for the Blind, or reading for me on campus.  The only textbook I had in braille was a first-level calculus text, by Thomas, in about 30 volumes, which had been independently transcribed in Nemeth braille by two different volunteer groups a few years earlier.  I had been using braille textbooks in Taylor code and Nemeth code up to that point.

Braille was helpful.  Whenever I came across equations or identities that looked fundamentally important, I would use my Perkins brailler and write them out.  I took a lot of braille notes in class using a slate and stylus.  I would take many tests with a brailler for working out the problem, then dictating my solution steps to a reader.  I know that being able to break down an audio reading of an equation into manageable pieces would be helpful.  I can't picture doing some of this on a refreshable one-line braille display.  But you work with the tools that are available and combine them creatively to solve problems and communicate results.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress, NLS.