[Blindmath] IOS7 and math support

Ed Summers Ed.Summers at sas.com
Sat Oct 5 18:13:01 UTC 2013

Neil, The math on that page did not display correctly on my iPad running iOS 7.0.2.

I believe iOS7 does a good job with presentation MathML in Safari and iBooks. Check out this very simple test page from W3C:
http://www.w3.org/Math/XSL/pmathml2.xml

There are a few features of this new support that should be noted:

It is a multimodal experience that supports Nemeth, spoken math, and  support for low vision users. This support is tightly integrated so a user can read with their fingers, eyes and ears at the same time. I think there are two very powerful consequences:
1 - it is an easy way to learn Nemeth code.
2 - it is a nice way for a sighted general ed math teacher to work with students with visual impairments, i.e. the general ed math teacher does not have to know the Nemeth code.

To see this behavior in action:
Turn on Voiceover on your iOS device.
Connect a braille display.
Open the url above in Safari.
Move the VO cursor to an equation on that page.
Observe that VO reads the equation using speech and displays it on the braille display.
Play with the rotor and note that you can read the equation by symbol, small expresions, large expressions, etc.
Activate the equation with a double tap, 3-6-chord, etc and view the equation in full screen mode.
Move through the equation using the VO cursor and drill down on an expression or term to view it alone in full screen mode.

Best,
Ed
Sent from my iPad