[Blindmath] "Spoken Mathematics on the Web" - Chromevox

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun Oct 6 17:42:36 UTC 2013

Thanks for this summary Susan, I possibly was going to look at it but in
general I am not very taken by Google stuff (so very little interest in
adopting Google chrome for my browser) and I think I had heard someone
already say that while chromevox does read some MathML they noticed a
few gaps. Also I am far from taken by the idea of needing to use a
different assistive technology when I want to browse the web, my main
screen reader is what I use to access the computer, and there is
something said for keeping it consistant for all applications (I would
prefer to concentrate on what I am doing rather than concentrate on how
to access the information).

Just a few observations and questions of what you say.

Using prosody to assist with understanding equations: I believe it can
be useful, but I agree that to rely on the prosody alone would be a
mistake. I think well placed pauses can help with identifying blocks of
the equation. Also it appears that Apple in their IOS7 stuff do use
prosody, VoiceOver raises the pitch when speaking a superscript and
lowers the pitch for subscript, although it does still speak where these
begin and end. Possibly more useful than prosody though is the ability
to explore an equation, some can just be too long to process in one go.

The chromevox speech API: I possibly should check this, but I have a
suspicion that this too will not turn out to be new. Some of this stuff
I hear about chromevox sounds very familiar when thinking back to the
firevox extension (http://firevox.clcworld.net) for the firefox browser,
which also did support some MathML speaking and a speech API (I think it
was termed as speech CSS or something like that). As the author of the
firevox extension I believe is involved in Google accessibility (I have
seen him pop up in a few Google accessibility related videos) I would
not be surprised if much of the implementation was based upon that. As I
think the speech API support in firevox goes back quite a few years
(well over 6, not sure if as far back as 10), one might say what will
change things now which will make people use this API in webpages?

Nemeth MathSpeak: Thanks for that information, it certainly makes things
clearer for me how MathSpeak fits in with everything else. Up to now
MathSpeak had been seen as yet another speech standard by me, but it
does seem like Dr Nemeth did put a lot of effort into making it work
well with other things (eg. his Braille code).

Michael Whapples