[Blindmath] StatsPortal and accessible material/eBook guidance ...

Bishop, Jeff - (jeffbis) jeffbis at email.arizona.edu
Mon Aug 25 19:05:17 UTC 2014

Hello Everyone,

I have had a request from our University math college to work with a professor in making content more accessible for her Statistics class.

I had a number of questions if it would be OK:

1.        Has anyone used StatsPortal by chance and if so is it accessible? This is the site:

http://courses.bfwpub.com/ips6e.php

They supposedly have a 508 compliant version of their site but I am unsure what that means for all practical purposes.

2.        The professor is writing her own EBook and will distribute it in PDF file format. She is using LaTeX notation for the math equations as I understand it. Do you think this is sufficient or would you suggest an alternative approach in conveying the mathematical equations? For example, perhaps converting them to MathML perhaps?

I know that MathML (using the MathPlayer plugin) only works with older Internet Explorer browsers so I am unsure if that is really a viable platform at the moment?

Any advice on these issues is hugely and graciously appreciated.

Thanks everyone,

Jeff Bishop