[Blindmath] using spss

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Wed Feb 12 00:02:17 UTC 2014

Hello,

I am NOT an SPSS user but have experimented with its accessibility. I do encourage blind people to use the same software as their classmates when possible and use the better tools when they don't have classmates, or the class uses inferior software options.

The SPSS webpages do have a good run down of what steps need to be taken to get SPSS running for JAWS users. My advice is to read their page and use the IT staff at your university to get everything running for you. You will need to have the Java Access Bridge installed to get anything useful from SPSS. I tested SPSS 21 and JAWS 14 late last year and could get a small job completed successfully. I have not yet tested SPSS 22 but it is supposed to have an improved installation process that will get the access bridge and everything you need.

I trust that others (more SPSS-friendly than me)  will speak up soon if this pointer isn't sufficient to get you started.

Jonathan