[Blindmath] help

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 00:00:20 UTC 2014

It depends on what he already knows about graphs before taking this
exam. If he already understands the concept of lines, X and Y axes,
slope and intercept, then you may just be able to read him the
question and describe any graphs that are included on the test. If he
doesn't have the basic conceptual understanding because he hasn't been
properly accommodated for this class, then he may need to take a step
back and go over some tactile graphs before he can be tested fairly on
the material. But I think the test questions are fair as long as he's
received appropriate accommodations while he was originally learning
the material, either tactile graphs, audio descriptions or both.
When I was taking math tests and the test asked me to draw a graph, I
would just write a detailed description with JAWS. This was never a
problem for me even into calculus and advanced statistics. He should
be able to take tests with JAWS unless the test question itself
actually contains a graph. Also, some equations will not read properly
with JAWS. He will need to trial a document and see if the equations
make sense with JAWS before using this as a preferred testing method.
You can retype the equations in a way that makes sense to JAWS by
using plain numbers, letters and operators. JAWS reads +, -, * and /
correctly along with %. It does not read Greek letters correctly.

Best,
Arielle

Arielle