[Blindmath] Struggling Mathematics Student

Wheatley, Richard r.wheatley2 at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Oct 16 13:53:26 UTC 2014

Dear Clayton
I am a second year physicist from England, so my experiences may not be relevant but anyway:
Here there is a dedicated department for disabled students, if there is such a department in your college you should track them down and establish contact with them. In my case the disability team put me in touch with the disability contact within the physics faculty and I hardly ever speak to the  main disability office anymore.
What format do you access your work and notes? Generally if you are studying a maths based subject under tutors with no V I training it is best to work in LaTeX, using a laptop and depending on preference a braille strip and or the access to LaTeX software.
The access to LaTeX software does take some time to get used to, I have a frend who has just started maths first year and I had to learn LaTeX on the run last year, but it is worth the time to learn. Most lecturers seem to use LaTeX in writing their own lecture notes, making the creation of accessable notes simple for your support.
Best wishes
Richard