[Blindmath] Dirivitives

Joseph Lee joseph.lee22590 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 19:04:05 UTC 2014

Hi Jacques,
As someone pointed out, dy sqrt(t) is not right. For derivatives involving
products, quotients and composite function (chain rule), I'd start with
writing derivatives of each function first before invoking the formula like:
p(t) = sqrt(t)/(t-1)
T(high) = sqrt(-1^2)/2
t(low) = 1
Then:
dy(f/g) = (low*d high)-(high*d low)/(low(^2)
= ((t-1)*(sqrt t^-1/2/2))-((sqrt t)*1)/(t-1)^2
Leave denominator i.e. (t-1)^2 alone (which becomes t^2-2t+1 if you want an
exact answer)), then simplify the numerator one piece at a time - that is,
solve low*d high first, then solve high*d low, simplify both expressions and
combine i.e. subtract high*d low from low*d high.
BTW, start with and easier expression - in our case, high * d low, set this
aside for now and solve low*d high. For chain rule (which you may learn
soon), start with the inner function first, as the outer function will
depend on it (dy chain rule = dg(f(df))).
Cheers,
Joseph