[Blindmath] alternative methods of learning college algebra

Pranav Lal pranav.lal at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 00:36:33 UTC 2015

Hi Laura,

I would break down your situation into 3 areas namely, reading math, writing
math and solving a problem. For rreading, get data into electronic format namely
LaTex or MathML which is what math player uses. MathML is a publishing only
format therefore it is usually difficult to manipulate documents in that format
so keep read only documents like textbooks in that format. You may want to use
Infty Reader which I believe is the only OCR that recognizes math.

When it comes to writing answers, use LaTex or the lean editor. The lean editor
may be easier to learn at this stage given that you would be coping with other
sight loss related issues. Please see the following website for more information
on STEM accessibility.
http://www.access2science.com/mathml/The%20LEAN%20Math%20Accessible%20MathML%20E
ditor.htm

You use whatever works for solving problems. I am not big on using human readers
because it involves a lot of schedule management. For exam situations, it is
crucial to be able to practice independently or it was in my case. Just me, the
computer and the math question.

Excel is also a handy tool to use.

Pranav