[Blindmath] Accessible education

joe walker joewalker0082 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 19:38:27 UTC 2015

Hello, my name is Joe Walker, and once again, I am a blind individual
who is actively seeking out new and effective forms of accessibility.
I would like to obtain a general picture of how blind students and
professionals adapt a variety of situations. I specificly want to know
how blind students have navigated a variety of challenges in the
college setting. I have received vocational and skills training, as
well as studied many discussions on this forum, but still have not
been able to overcome all the necessary obstacles in order to attend
college. Regarding the issues of math and science, as well as the
issue of visual representations in general, I want to know how you
navigated the following:

1. electronic learning platforms, (i.e), online whiteboard,
interactive and graphical learning sites, multimedia and flash
content, etc

2. Taking tests at testing centers and using testing software,

3. obtaining alternative materials when braille is not available or
most feasible, like when taking computer classes, advanced math and
science courses, etc
Given that many of these issues are most prevalent when referring to
Math and Science courses, I feel it appropriate to ask this on the
math forum, although I do feel like these issues still span the globe
of education. I greatly appreciate any and all feedback on this
question. You can also reach me directly at my email:
joewalker0082 at gmail.com

I thank you for your participation in this mailing list, and I look
forward to hearing from you soon.