[Blindmath] Mathematics using handwriting

Hajas Dániel d.hajas.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 13:11:25 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Today our lecturer in quantum mechanics used a software that allowed her to
use a pen and write on a screen, which then was projected on a board, so
students can take notes at the lecture. This is like a digital blackboard
except that people have to write on a computer screen.

I was wondering if something similar existed for applications with screen
readers? A software for PC, an app for tablets or smartphones, or other
alternative solution.

The point would be to enable handwritten input of mainly mathematical
symbols that can be read by a screen reader while writing character by
character and afterward while browsing through lines.

I imagine something like the handwriting option in iOS. I often use that
function for writing shorter texts even if it is not the fastest and most
reliable way of writing, simply because I find handwriting a some form of
art. Also when I get fed up with pressing the keyboard I use a notepad to
write down my equations and derive what I need. Obviously there is no
feedback, I can't read it back after, but it helps me in following a mental
process.

So I would be pleased to see a solution which enables me to use handwritten
maths and I could even read back what I wrote. Editing wouldn't be esential
at the beginning.

I even guess the iOS feature could be turned into an app of what I just
described above.

Do you know of anything along these lines?

Best wishes,

Daniel