[Blindmath] Accessibility for being a blind math instructor

Anna Givens annajee82 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 03:37:53 UTC 2015

David,
Thanks for the message.  I hope other people reply because I am nowhere close to being an expert on any of this, but I will tell you what I can.  Also i hope you have asked the same questions to some other lists as well, such as blind professionals, or nabs (the student list), or the science list.

First I would recommendtalking with yout colleages, your current or former professors or advisors to see what they think about your current method of teaching and how this might present problems in trying to get a teaching job or what you might do instead.  It seems to me that these people would know some of those answers.
As for typing math in print.  I
know there is a way to do this.  I don't know exactly how, but be sure, there is a way.  I believe you can use LaTeX to do this.  It is some kind of software that is made for preparing technical documents.Their website is www.latex-project.org, if you would like to look into that.  I have not used it, but I hear there is a learning curve, but I belive it could probably do what you need.  There may be other ways as well that I'm not aware of.  Also I wonder if you could just use the textbook and whatever workbook may come with it, that way the students would already have that and just look at that as you talk about the problems in the book.
As for reading or editing math, LaTeX may help with this... I'm not sure.  I have also heard of things such as mathML which may be useful, but again not really sure, I know people do it though.
As far as being able to read the textbooks, Learning Ally and Bookshare have a lot of high school and college audio books.  These audio books may be found elsewhere as well.  If the book you need is not available I believe you can request one be made.  However, I am not sure how that process works or how long it takes.  Or perhaps your employer can make an audio book for you, or you could hire someone to read and record the book.  Also using a reader may be helpful with this.
I think a reader may be necessary for grading homework although I guess it might depend on how the homework is presented.  A lot of people use readers at their jobs.
There is a talking graphing calculator.  It is the talking TI-84 from the American Printing House for the Blind (APH).  I have one, I use it a lot, it does everything a non-talking graphing calculator would do.  You might even be able to do math with the calculator in front of the class and project the screen of the calculator onto the big screen using a document camera or something like that, so that the students could be looking at that.
Personally I would highly recommendlearning and/or working on braille and nemeth code.  I think these could be very useful to you.  Often people do not want to read braille much because they are so slow, but they cannot get fast if they don't read braille.
If you learned or practiced these things I think the possibilitiesof what you could do would be much expanded.  Nemeth code is not that hard to learn if you really want to do it.
Ultimately I see no reason at all why you should not be able to get a job teaching math.  It sounds like you would do a good job at it.  The key is to think creatively. Obviously you will not be teaching in the same you that sighted teachers would teach; but that becomes totally irrelevant when you can come up with creative ideas of how to do things.
Hope something I suggested was helpful.
Good luck to you.

Anna E Givens