[Blindmath] student accommodations

Shickeytha Chandler shickeytha at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 04:08:07 UTC 2015

Hi,
I would suggest providing your student with as much information ahead
of time about the instructional methods you use in the classroom (i.e.
do you write on the board, use programs like PowerPoint or Excel,
etc.) That might get him thinking "Oh hey I will need x accommodation
for y task." Also, if you provide him with a course syllabus, this can
also give a frame of reference and enable him to know what
accommodations to request. Some students also do not know what
accommodations are available to them, so it might be good to refer him
to an office for students with disabilities so that they can advise
him about things like technology that can be loaned to him, ways of
getting math textbooks in accessible format, etc. As far as teaching
techniques, I think one of the most common things that teachers forget
with visually impaired students is that it is very important to
verbalize everything you write on the board. The natural tendency is
to say "You take this number and put it here..." But it is much better
to be specific about which number you are taking and where you are
putting it. Hope this helps!

Shickeytha