[Blindmath] question from university ombudsperson on behalf of a blind university student

Gaylen Kapperman gkapperman at niu.edu
Mon Nov 30 20:01:50 UTC 2015

Folks, here is a situation posed by an ombudsperson on behalf of a blind university student. Any suggestions or recommendations would be most welcome. Please send them my way and I will be more than appreciative and will forward them to said ombudsperson...Here is the situation to quote from her e-mail to me....
I have never done social science research, as my background is in law.  It seems to be a huge challenge for both the DRC and for students with visual impairments who are struggling with the immense nature of translating charts, math problems, and statistical information into braille.  It feels as though there has to be a better way or more effective way to work.  But maybe I am wrong.  I don't know.  If you would be willing to post the question though, I would sincerely appreciate it.

So, this is the question - What tools do social scientists with visual impairments use to do research?  Does a tool exist that is effective and practical for use in translating SPSS, charts, and math into something truly workable for individuals with profound visual impairments?

Thank you again for your help,

Thanks again.
Gaylen Kapperman