[Blindmath] converting a textbook in LaTeX to MathML

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Tue Jun 14 22:21:58 UTC 2016

Hi,

I author LaTeX content that is full of what people are calling macros. The reasons for doing so include, but not limited to:
Efficiency - a short command beats a set of long ones when everything needs to be typed out.
Consistency - one command gets lots of things done the same way throughout a document with no surprises.
Cleanliness - my LaTeX source is less cluttered and easier for me to read, especially as my commands tend to indicate semantics more often than I might be able to interpret from the raw LaTeX codes.

For example, in my manuals on using R, I have a \newcommand in my preamble that creates a new command \Rcmd. That command takes the one argument (an r command name), turns it into a typewriter font (for the sighted obviously), adds the () that I don't want to type or hear on the end of all the R commands in my work, and adds the R command to the index in such a way that all R commands in the index are formatted the same way. All of the additions my \Rcmd creates are from standard LaTeX packages, but none of the conversion tools I've tested other than tex4ht have handled my command.

I have used tex4ht for over five years now, and have only two faults that I think need to be resolved for improved accessibility. First, the figures in my work all come out with the alt tag set to "pic" and second, the math content is not accessible.

The second problem is new. When I first used tex4ht it generated good enough math content for me to want to use it. I still have the workflow set up to go when and if someone can demonstrate how to get the settings or the installation right to get that content back.

I think I've managed to work around the alt tag issue by using figure captions more than perhaps would otherwise be necessary, but at least it makes the document accessible.

Cheers,
Jonathan