[Blindmath] Data on braille vs. speech use

Sina Bahram sina at sinabahram.com
Sun Mar 20 01:31:05 UTC 2016

Just one additional note on Steve's excellent message below. NVDA+MathPlayer
can also give you braille. Even though I was closely involved with the
design of that system for multiple years, when I actually felt nemeth
refreshing underneath my fingers with the capability to also interact in a
variety of advanced ways for the first time, it was both purely mind blowing
and incredibly rewarding. Exploring calculus from Wikipedia interactively
and also in Braille is something I would have given a lot for when I was
younger and learning mathematics.

Authoring mathematics is still a pipeline that a lot of us are thinking
about and working on, I know, but for the first time, I feel that the
problem of an eyes-free user reading and interacting with mathematics is at
least at the end of the beginning if not the beginning of the end, to
paraphrase a famous quote.

Steve, I can't wait to see that data. It sounds like a great study.

Take care,
Sina

President, Prime Access Consulting, Inc.
Twitter: @SinaBahram
Company Website: http://www.pac.bz
Personal Website: http://www.sinabahram.com
Blog: http://blog.sinabahram.com