[Blindmath] Reintroducing myself and beta test opportunity for new STEM accessibility service.

Aqil Sajjad aqilsajjad at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 22:44:33 UTC 2017

Hi Daniel:

I just read your e-mails on the blind math list. I am myself a blind phd in
theoretical physics, and am therefore very much interested in your idea on
making diagrams accessible.

I will soon be signing up as a beta tester, but it would also be interesting
to touch base and share some notes on how to do physics as a blind person
some time. One thing I have often felt the need for is clarification of some
formulae. Say I am reading some physics material, which was originally in an
inaccessible format. I run infty reader to OCR it and get a LaTeX version.
The accuracy of OCR is reasonably good, but from time to time I encounter an
equation which has not been recognized correctly, and I can tell that
something is not right.
In such a situation, it would be nice to be able to ask a sighted person
just to read the equation out to me or give me a correct version in a format
like LaTex. Such a clarification of 1 or 2 equations will typically not take
than a diagram, and I was therefore thinking that it could easily be added
to the service you are working on offering.

Aqil