[Blindmath] dlmf and screen readers

Neil Soiffer soiffer at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jan 17 00:41:02 UTC 2017

This is a bug in MathPlayer when interpreting the combinatorial notation.
Thankfully, it is an easy fix to make:

Change to a directory like C:\Program Files (x86)\Design
Science\MathPlayer\Rules\en (the path may be slightly different depending
on your machine).

If you are using ClearSpeak, open the file ClearSpeak-en.tdl in your
favorite text editor (e.g., notepad). You probably need to change it from
read-only to writeable. Look for the line containing "linethickness".
Change that line from
   count(match)==3 && name($1)=="mfrac" && $1.linethickness==0 )
   count(match)==3 && name($1)=="mfrac" && ($1.linethickness=="0"  ||
$1.linethickness=="0pt") )

If you are using Simple Speech, do the same for simple-speech-base.tdl.

It's not a bad idea to change both files just in case...

This is not a perfect fix, but it does make it work for the way dlmf
generates this notation.

Neil Soiffer