[BlindMath] UEB Math History/Methodology

Don Winiecki dwiniecki at boisestate.edu
Sat Jul 8 19:12:33 UTC 2017

Apologies for a diversion from the original question. However, the following may help to characterize more aspects of the issues involved in braille maths codes.

In the USA, each state has the ability to set the math code to be used in schools in that state. Schools are then required to acquire transcriptions in that code.

Many, but not all, states have officially adopted UEB maths. Other states have not officially declared UEB maths, which effectively means Nemeth is treated as the standard in those states.

The latter is the case in Idaho (where I live). The state school for blind and visually impaired requires that transcribers (literary and maths) have earned certification in the required code.

Students in Idaho are taught to use UEB for literary material, and Nemeth for maths. However, as an example, Massachusetts has adopted UEB for both literary and maths. This means that students moving between states may have to learn a different maths code to continue their studies — students who attended Idaho public schools will have to learn UEB maths if they attend school in Massachusetts, and vice versa.

This also adds complexity and cost to materials prepared by commercial producers of braille because they have to hire certified transcribers for each code, and produce two different versions for every title used in multiple states.

Few other countries use Nemeth, and in fact nearly every spoken language with a parallel braille code has its own variant braille code for some elements of maths. This leads to the very unfortunate fact that `the universal language` of maths is not universal for braille readers.

Most national organizations in the US have recommended staying with Nemeth for maths, but have no strong means to ensure uniformity.

Regarding empirical research to inform a decision for UEB maths or Nemeth, I know of only anecdotal arguments and no set of studies that affords conclusive, peer reviewed data.

We live in interesting times!

_don