[BlindMath] UEB Math History/Methodology

Donald Winiecki dwiniecki at boisestate.edu
Sun Jul 9 00:43:16 UTC 2017

That's a good question.  I don't know offhand how public colleges and
universities work under this scheme.

Regardless, part of the point of my message was to indicate that there
really is no nation-wide standard in the USA for how to represent maths in
braille.  Whether they are moving from state to state -- or coming to the
US from another country -- to study may likely have to learn a new maths
code in order to pursue their educational goals.  It is perhaps another
barrier to STEM education for the visually-impaired and blind.

NFB's proposed AIM-HIGH act (https://nfb.org/aim_high) is intended to
provide guidance for more uniformity in accessible materials across
colleges and universities, and incentives (or removal of punishments) to
provide accessible materials.  However, the above-mentioned issue would
probably not be solved even if AIM-HIGH is accepted as law.

_don