[BlindMath] Is it possible for screen reader users to do data science?

Donald Winiecki dwiniecki at boisestate.edu
Mon Jun 26 11:49:45 UTC 2017

To everyone interested in this discussion thread,

As a social scientist interested in the ways data and algorithms are used
to make decisions, I am very very grateful that data scientists spend so
much time cleaning data!  This is because the data used to make decisions
in fields like epidemiology, immigration, criminal justice, and finance --
among others -- often come from databases that are not themselves
necessarily good representations of the populations they are supposed to
model, and often contain evidence of inaccuracies and biases that exist in
the socio-cultural beliefs and values of society itself.

The result is a great risk of dangerous inaccuracies and biases creeping
from the data into the final decisions.  I shared some of these risks with
President Riccobono when he visited the NFB-Idaho convention in April, and
he may talk about them during the upcoming convention in Orlando, with a
focus on how technologies can both help and hurt us if we're not very
careful.

Thank you for your attention to detail and quality in your studies and your
career!

_don

Don Winiecki, Ed.D., Ph.D.
*Professor of Ethics & Morality in Professional Practice*
Boise State University, College of Engineering
1910 University Drive, Mail Stop 2070
Boise, Idaho 83725-2070 USA
E-mail: dwiniecki at boisestate.edu
WWW: http://opwl.boisestate.edu