[BlindMath] Transitioning from Completely Visual Math to Less Visual Math

Nicholas J 314nick15 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 03:21:54 UTC 2017

Hello,

I’m considering doing a Master’s in statistics, but I do not want to go
back to the technology that I used before. I used a cctv to view the board
and zoomtext as a screen magnifier. All the cctvs I have used have still
left me not able to see what was happening in most of my classes before and
zoomtext made things slower for me because of so much magnification. Right
now I am transitioning to using Jaws for the computer, but I am not sure
what to do for things like the boards in classes, writing, and things like
that. I don’t write notes because I am slow at it since I have to write big
and I usually still can’t understand what I wrote because of how quickly I
wrote it and how unreadable it is. I have been looking at doing things in
braille, but am not sure if that is the best way to go. I thought it might
take a lot of time also to learn it. I still think it may be helpful in
some situations (maybe graphics which I could almost never discern
correctly the more complicated they got). I have been reading through all
the posts here about latex and having Jaws read them and other kinds of
technologies, but I am not sure what kinds of technology are best for the
transition of doing everything visually to doing things less visually. My
vision has always stayed the same, but the field I am working in is
statistics and it gets very small and specific for notation and everything.
Main Question: What technology and how can I do math more electronically
and less visually? I am learning Jaws, braille, and Kurzweil.

Thank you,

Nicholas