[BlindMath] Transitioning from Completely Visual Math to Less Visual Math

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Mar 31 12:38:38 UTC 2017

At the risk of starting a debate that I really don't want to start, I think a case can still be made that it is helpful to do math in braille on paper.  I'm not as up to date as many hear on modern techniques, and I also am not one to claim that there are not other approaches that can work.  However, from what I've seen with my kids, for example, sighted people still use scratch paper sometimes, or have methods of manipulating mathematical equations on tablets in two dimensions.  The problem we face still is that braille displays only display one line at a time.  Some software lets you effectively slide a display up and down, but this doesn't always work seemlessly.  There is a possibility we'll see an affordable display soon with multiple lines, but exactly how that will work isn't a certainty.  I readily admit that even doing math on paper in braille with a braille writer is not as flexible as a pencil and paper, but it is at least similar to a degree.

I know that there are people who have succeeded in math without learning braille and certainly there are likely people who have developed the ability to picture what they need to solve equasions using audio or a single line display.  I'd like to think that I would have developed that ability if I had taken math more recently.  I am therefore not saying that doing braille math on paper, for example, is the only way to succeed.  What I am saying is that it needs to be considered as another tool that can help one to succeed.  It might make the difference whether the student who may have trouble with some of the other techniques available can succeed or not.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson