[BlindMath] R for SQL

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Wed Oct 11 03:34:12 UTC 2017

Hello,

R is good at handling SQL and many other programming languages, but it has unnecessary overhead. If you want to learn SQL, why add complexity by using it through R?

You wouldn't learn C++ by running all your work via R, but it is extremely useful to learn C++ as an R user wanting efficiency. Users of SQL who want to pull data into their other R work do so with relative ease, but this is not something I have needed to consider learning yet.

My point is that you ought to need/want a specific outcome before adding the complexity of running one tool using another.

Jonathan