[BlindMath] Average Rate of Change problem

Joseph C. Lininger devnull-blindmath at pcdesk.net
Mon Aug 20 02:16:20 UTC 2018

Susan,
Warning to others, I'm going into a bit of calculus in this message,
which is beyond the original scope of the question asked by the original
poster. I need to in order to answer Susan's question.

You understand correctly regarding average rate of change being used as
a tool for preparing the student to understand derivative. In fact, all
you have to do to turn that average into a derivative is to take the
limit of the average as (x_2 - x_1) goes to 0. Its normally rewritten a
bit to look like this.

(f(x + h) - f(x)) / (h)

Now, take the limit as h goes to 0 and you'll get the derivative of
f(x). So the average rate of change expression is extremely close to the
expression for finding a derivative.

--
Joe