[BlindMath] Developing a New Braille Code (Biochem)

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jan 13 19:30:02 UTC 2018

Hi Zach,

Congratulations on doing this!  As a person with a background in theoretical
chemistry, I've long thought the BANA 1997 Braille Code of Chemical Notation
to be awkward. I actually don't know how much it is used.
http://www.brailleauthority.org/mathscience/math-science.html

I'm another who can't answer your legal questions but in general braille
versions of print are exempt from copyright rules.

Several years ago a braille-using linguistic professor finished developing
a new braille IPA code that was recently adopted as an official BANA code.
Here is an interesting (and somewhat long) article he wrote about why this
code is important and about how and why he succeeded.  You might find the
article useful if you decide to continue your project.
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm13/bm1302/bm130211.htm

Very best wishes,
Susan Jolly