[BlindMath] Long Math Problems

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Tue Oct 2 13:43:47 UTC 2018

Hi Nicholas,

You've already gotten some good suggestions so I''ll just focus on the
problem with underscripts and overscripts or what Nemeth calls modifiers
that are common in statistics. These expressions are unavoidably verbose in
Nemeth or other linear system,  If I've counted right  the sum from n equals
zero to 10 is already sixteen characters in Nemeth and thirteen in LaTeX
before you even get to the expression for what is being summed.

I suggest representing modified symbols with a shorthand defined on a
separate line. For example you could use the small letter ess followed by a
digit to identify a particular sum and then a dot 5 separator which is only
three braille cells.

HTH, Susan J