[BlindMath] math and braille displays

Shelley Mack smackbrl at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 16:15:28 UTC 2019

I am a TVI and braille transcriber trying to understand math and technology
better. Unfortunately, I don't have a braille display to play around with
at the moment. I also have to disclose that I have a strong bias towards
hard copy braille for math. I produce Nemeth in the UEB context using
Duxbury either with 6-key input or in Word with MathType then Duxbury
depending on the level and complexity of the math.

If someone is accessing a document or website with a braille display, what
exactly does the display show in terms of math? Is it Nemeth? computer
braille? UEB technical? And how does the document/website need to be done
in order for the math portion to be shown properly? the braille display is
simply showing what a screenreader would be saying, yes?

If this is too broad of a topic to address here, feel free to contact me
off list or point me to resources that you feel could explain things to me.

thanks in advance for your help,
Shelley Mack