[BlindMath] Tips on presenting slides

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Wed Oct 9 20:19:19 UTC 2019

Robin,

My last comparison test between the slide show options for R markdown (pandoc in behind) albeit back in 2016, gave the prize to slidey

Having said that, I get tired of the painful navigation required by having to use pass through keystrokes so I've been using a single HTML document to do the job ever since.

All my lectures are written in R markdown. I also give both HTML and Rmd versions to my students, so that they can see how I did anything or add their own content if they like; few do that but it is nice to give them the option.

When I've wanted to add content that my audience can't see, I add html content that is printed in 1pt font size with the foreground and background colours set to match the general background; they are then invisible to the audience and audible to me. TBH, I usually use heading level 6 for this and update the css file to alter all heading 6 content at once.

I usually wear a single earpiece so that I can hear the screen reader, but  I can't see why the same outcome can't be achieved using just your braille display. As long as I keep my JAWS focus on the content I want my audience to be seeing using the standard html keystrokes for headings and graphics to move around to important bits as I speak, it all seems to go fairly well.

One challenge I have only ever overcome by way of trial and error is making sure large objects are actually visible to my audience. The drive to get the biggest image for purposes of clarity is in conflict with my need to keep it on screen. Paranoia is my friend in these circumstances. I take my laptop to conferences and always connect it to the local projection hardware with enough time to decide which level of zooming best suits the local conditions. There is usually one or two elements that I need to check at most; getting them right ensures everything goes smoothly. I recall one conference some years ago where people were asking speakers to increase the font size a lot; one vocal individual told me afterwards that he wanted to ask me but decided better than to say to a blind presenter that he couldn't see the slides.

In situations when I needed to navigate a presentation with next to zero timing, I used multiple Rmd files and added my own back and next links at the bottom. I also added a link to contents on each page so that I could quickly decide which page was the one that had the visual content to display that was relevant to any questions being asked.

HTH
Jonathan