[BlindMath] I need some ideas and encouragement for doing braille calculus

eschlenker at cox.net eschlenker at cox.net
Thu Sep 19 19:52:06 UTC 2019

Hi, everyone. I am in first semester calculus, and I am really struggling. I
understand the processes,  but I am having trouble staying organized while
working problems in braille. I use a braille notetaker with 32 cells, and I
am having trouble with things like the chain rule that require lines and
lines of equations. The actual line on my braille sense is not long enough
to accommodate some of my equations, and I get flustered and lost scrolling
between so many lines. Ho do those of you who are braille users stay
organized? Do you have any strategies for keeping parts of the same problem
organized? I am not opposed to breaking out the Perkins Brailler with wide
paper, but I am also wondering if there is anything else I can do to be
successful. I have a great instructor who always goes step by step and
doesn't mind repeating things, but I always get lost about half way through
big problems.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Emily

---