[BlindMath] Helpful suggestions

David davidct1209 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 03:10:35 UTC 2019

Two responses:
1. in terms of taking notes for Learning Ally, it'd depend on what app
you're using to read the books. They're in daisy format. I do the simplest
thing and just use a simple text editor and go only as far as to note the
chapter I'm in. But, all crucial theorems and proofs I hand-transcribe into
my own little format. Handy when you need a quick reference.

2. in terms of LaTeX, there are two things I'd mention. You can check the
correctness of your syntax by using some tools e.g. htlatex, text4ht, etc.
They will all vary in terms of what they emit as output but will flag
errors in what you're writing.
For verbalizing the tex intelligently, I know of only Emacspeak that does
the job directly. You might be able to convert to Math ML and have
something like Math Player do it.

Emacspeak has a emacspeak-maths module. I just tried it; not super easy to
set up, and a little non-user friendly, but it works. I passed it
\frac{a+b}{c+d} and it gave back
"a plus b divided by c plus d"
and I was able to explore sub expressions as well.
https://tvraman.github.io/emacspeak/manual/emacspeak_002dmaths.html