[BlindMath] Material to leran nemeth Code

Susan Osterhaus osterhauss at tsbvi.edu
Tue Oct 6 18:17:33 UTC 2020

Hi Niels,

There is a lot of free material available to learn Nemeth Code within UEB
Contexts. Here are some places to go to get you started:

1. BANA Nemeth Code Book
www.brailleauthority.org/mathscience/math-science.html

The Nemeth Braille Code for Mathematics and Science Notation, 1972
Revision.
Nemeth Updates from 2007 through 2015
In the Nemeth code rule book, the nonmathematical text that surrounds the
mathematics is based on English Braille, American Edition (EBAE), which is
being replaced by Unified English Braille (UEB).
(available as a pdf and brf)

2. Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts
www.brailleauthority.org/mathscience/math-science.html

The BANA Nemeth Technical Committee is in the process of updating the Code
Book, but in the meantime, we have the:
Guidance for Transcription Using the Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts,
April 2018
(available as a pdf and brf)

3. National Federation of the Blind
 Course in Nemeth Code Transcribing
https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/braille-certification/mathematics-br
aille-transcribing

An Introduction to Braille Mathematics, 1978
Errata and Addenda to An Introduction to Braille Mathematics, November 10,
2014
An Introduction to Braille Mathematics LESSON 16, Updated July 2016
Course Manual Revision (Provisional)
The course manual is currently being updated to align with the use of
Nemeth Code within UEB contexts. A provisional version of the revised
lessons is made available here for review purposes only.
(The provisional course manual is available as several pdfs and brfs.)

4. APH Nemeth Tutorial https://tech.aph.org/nemeth/
Totally online and accessible.

5. Nemeth Braille Code for Instructors and Paraeducators Online Courses
https://www.tsbvi.edu/course-listing#nemethdescription

6. Nemeth Braille Searchable Database (Nemeth Symbol Library being updated
and expanded on another website at present)
http://accessibility.pearson.com/nemethdatabase/
Online and totally accessible with lots of examples in pdf and brf files.

Susan