[BlindMath] software for scanning math content (Aimee Harwood)

Sean Loraas sloraas at austincc.edu
Fri Oct 23 03:31:00 UTC 2020

We use Mathpix to transfer individual math expressions and equations into
MSWord quickly, since you don't even have to open a math type window, just
snip and paste, and it's automatically a MT Equation. But MathPix doesn't
do text, especially many pages. I find Inftyreader invaluable for specific
applications: large amounts (several pages to textbooks, 1 section at a
time). But it takes time to learn how to meet the resolution and other
specifications,  a workflow for preparing PDF and getting setting so you
can export to Tiffs that meet Inftyreader standards. I wouldn't want to
work without both applications. Lose one of them and it would slow our STEM
output considerably. The other apps vital to my math production  of screen
reader accessible HTML and Nemeth Code in a UEB context are Duxbury
(braille transcription) and Central Access Reader (free, open source MS
Word/mathtype or eq editor to HTML/MathML converter). Of course Word MS
Office, and Adobe Acrobat Pro ( & Photoshop for tactile graphics). Hope
that helps.
Stay safe!

Sean Loraas

 Accessibility Technician
 Alt. Text & Media
   Austin Community College

(Sent from my smart phone, please forgive any typos I failed to catch.)