[BlindMath] Please, more talk between blind math users and LaTeX developers

David Farmer farmer at aimath.org
Thu Mar 18 03:17:42 UTC 2021

I'll address Jonathan F's comment about converting LaTeX to PreTeXt.

PreTeXt is easy to understand, and the basics of the markup are
not too hard to learn, by anyone who knows LaTeX.  It is XML,
so all the tags are in angle brackets:  <theorem> and </theorem>
instead of \begin{theorem} and \end{theorem}.

Converting LaTeX to PreTeXt would be easy, if only people wrote
nice, clean, semantic LaTeX.  Unfortunately, that is rare.  Every
instance of micromanaging the layout is an impediment to conversion,
because PreTeXt actually separates the content from the presentation.
LaTeX was intended to do that, but that is not what happens in practice.

Using PreTeXt (currently) has the added hurdle of requiring technical
knowledge to use.  That is why we are not going around claiming that
PreTeXt now is the solution to the accessibility issues for technical
documents.  But we are working hard to lower the barrier to adoption.

Regards,

David

ps.  It is HTML from PreTeXt which is accessible.  PreTeXt produces PDF,
but that is just as inaccessible as the PDF from LaTeX -- because the
path is PreTeXt converts to LaTeX converts to PDF.