[Blindtlk] Gross Discrimination By A Major Survey Company

Amanda Robertson zhuuraan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 06:53:10 UTC 2009

Hello list,

About a year ago, I had an incident with a survey company called Pinecone
Research which was a blatant case of discrimination against the blind. I was
a member of their panel and took surveys which were product reviews in the
form of images with embedded text. I requested that an alternate form of the
reviews in text only format be available, but she declined. I will paste the
contents of her email reply below this message. The questions following the
product descriptions did not directly relate to the images or require
physically viewing the products. They were things like evaluating the value
and price and whether or not it was a product I would buy. Nothing in the
survey required visual analysis of the image and just as much information
could have been transmitted via an alternate link containing a text version
of the descriptions.

Also, in ther FAQs, they state that if you are unable to see the images, you
cannot participate in their surveys. Exact phrasing and a link to the
current Terms will be provided below. I also intend to make a record of the
current TOS as they appear now for future reference. I will also include a
link to a blog post I made about a year ago related to this site. In a
year's time, they have done nothing to facilitate accessibility of their
surveys and I seriously believe something should be done to remedy the
discrimination situation.

---FAQ quote and link as of June 2, 2009 at 12:38 a.m. MST---
If I'm unable to see the product concept, should I complete the survey
anyway?  Your ability to view the product concept in the survey is a
requirement for participation in the study. As a member of the PineCone
Research panel, you directly influence   which products get developed and
help ensure that these products meet consumer demands.  Your opinion will
have an impact on everything from product performance to style,  varieties,
features, pricing...you name it.If you are ever unable to view the product
concept in one of our surveys, whether it's presented in a picture or
video   format, please contact us at scott at pineconeresearch.com for
troubleshooting assistance. Surveys submitted by those who were unable to
view the product concept are not   included in the study data
http://www.pineconeresearch.com/faq.asp#genpar14

---May 15, 2008 blog post link---
http://zhuuraan.wordpress.com/2008/05/15/pinecone-research-discriminates-dont-join-them/

---Copy of email from Karen Scott of Pinecone Research---
RE: FAQ + 35811-1002 /ID 388210

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:23 PM

"Karen Scott (USA)" <scott at pineconeresearch.com>

Add sender to Contacts

zhuuraan84 at yahoo.com

Thank you for your comments.  Unfortunately, our online surveys are
specifically designed for panelists who are fully able view the product
images.  If your visual impairment prevents you from seeing such images and
pictures, you will not be able to be a panelist.  Please let me knowwhether
you wish to remain on the panel.Cordially,Karen ScottWeb site:
http://www.pineconeresearch.com
E-mail:
scott at pineconeresearch.com
Ref: 06-----Original Message-----From: