[Blindtlk] soldering electronic parts

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Jun 3 20:00:31 UTC 2009

Joel,

I have done some soldering during my life that at least has been good enough to get me by.  However, I readily admit that I do less of it now because so many
components have gotten so small that it is not as easy as it once was.  How well you do with it a matter of how much it is worth to you and how much you are willing
to practice and experiment.

The common approach to soldering is to use a soldering iron that remains hot for the entire soldering session.  Some blind persons do that, but I dare say most of us
do not.  Usually it makes the most sense to find a soldering iron or gun that can be heated up after it has been positioned.  My approach is to mostly use a soldering
gun, placing it upon the terminal or wire that needs to be soldered, take the solder in my other hand and place the end on the terminal or wire grasping the solder a
couple of inches back from the end, and then apply the heat.  This could mean pressing a trigger, or possibly wiring a soldering gun through a foot peddle.  Once the
connection is hot enough, you will both smell the solder and feel that the tip touching the connection is getting soft.  You will learn over time to feed the melting end
of the solder onto the connection until you get the right amount and then widraw both the gun and the solder.  It is important that the solder and the iron or gun touch
the connection and not each other.  The best results will be achieved by having the gun heat up the connection so the connection is hot enough to melt the solder.

There are several variables.  First, you can get solder in different gauges or diameters.  The thicker the solder, the better you will be able to feel if it is positioned on
the connection, but the more likely you will get too much solder or have it go where you don't want it.  Find a compromise that works by experimenting.  Some small
connections will require that you use a thin solder and you have to live with that.  Some have fed thin solder through a thin metal tube so that the tube can be used
to guide the solder to the connection.

There are verious kinds of soldering irons and guns now.  A Soldering gun has a small heating element mounted on two very heavy conductors.  It heats up and
cools fairly quickly.  However, it is a high current low voltage device, and because of the high current, some say that a gun can dammage a component because of
the strong electric fields.  While I do not doubt this, it has never happened to me, and this is not usually an issue when soldering switches, plugs or pickups as you
might deal with on a guitar.  However, some cordless irons heat up fairly quickly and pose less of a risk.  Also, it can be nice not to have to worry about a cord.  I do
not think I solder as quickly as most sighted people, though, so consequently, I have found the battery life on a cordless iron to be limiting and never living up to the
ads.  There are also irons that you light.  These stay hot but tend to concentrate the heat so one can use them if one is careful.  There are tricks, too.  If you wet
your finger tip and you touch quickly, the heat is discipated in the water and you won't burn your finger.

Maybe this will give you some ideas.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson