[Blindtlk] Oregon votes to close school for the blind

Steve P. Deeley stevep.deeley at insightbb.com
Sat Jun 13 16:36:29 UTC 2009

Don, I think that would be the best approach to have a school like the one
in Washington you mentioned.  I attended a school for the blind for the
first six years and then moved to a public school.  I had no difficulties
because I had wonderful resource teachers in the Chicago area.  This was in
1968 when we moved from Kentucky to Chicago.  I had many behavioral problems
at the Kentucky School for the blind.  When I moved to a public school,
these problems were corrected by, I think, pier pressure.  I wanted to fit
in with the sighted kids so I stopped my old behavior.  However, I have no
contact with other blind students for six years.  For me, it probably helped
me to leave KSB, however, I'm certain some of my blindness skills suffered.
I know this is a tremendous loss for you and it is very difficult to accept.
Blind students do need a place to come and work on their blindness skills
and associate with other blind children.
Thanks,

Steve