[Blindtlk] a question of spacing

Dan Hicks danjhicks at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 21 03:43:56 UTC 2009

Stuff like this fascinates me.

When I leaned to type, back when typewriters were manual and about as heavy
as engine-blocks, we were taught to type two spaces after a period. A long
time ago I notices that most typeset stuff does not have two spaces after a
period, but I dutifully continued to type two spaces after each period.

Then I read a couple of good grammar books that address this issue. One of
them, I believe is "The Elephants Of Style: A Trunkload Of Tips On The Big
Issues And Gray Areas Of Contemporary American English" by Bill Walsh (DB-
or RC-59150). This book explains that the reason for double-spacing after a
sentence has to do with the old-fashioned way typesetting used to be done.
It took me about a week to break that lifelong habit of double-spacing, and
now I don't do it at all.  Well, almost never.

About the tab going in all those spaces -- you may be using a very small
font, or you have something set a bit strangely. That would be my take on
that.

Dan Hicks

"If you are going to walk on thin ice,
 you might as well dance."