[Central-md-chapter] A review of the amazon echo

brenda mueller brendin at smart2.net
Thu Dec 8 18:15:08 UTC 2016

Hi, all,

I'm sorry I missed the last meeting, but it had been raining
moderately heavily and heavier throughout the day.  I was afraid
that if that continued, I could be flooded out.  As for the
matter of storage of information such as passwords and credit
card information on the iPhone, I think that it's safe to say
that while that information may be in your phone, it's safe to
assume that iTunes and the Ap' store stores it, too. I have an
iPhone six and had to change my credit card information when the
chip credit cards came out and the ones without chips were
discontinued. I use Uber quite a bit and Grubhub sometimes, hence
the credit card information in my iPhone six. For some reason, in
addition to changing credit card information, I also changed my
password for some reason I don't recall.  Both processes of
changing them involved going into the Ap' store, and iTunes was
involved as well.  Whether or not that information is stored on a
cloud or elsewhere is anyone's guess, I'd say; as my brother Jim
used to say when he didn't know something, "Tell me, and we'll
both know."

As for your Siri comment, Graham, the trigger isn't "Siri," for
my phone, but "Hey, Siri." When my phone is charging, Siri
automatically listens. I often ask Siri things while the phone is
charging.  I don't have Siri set up to listen when the phone
isn't charging, unless I press the home button. I use the phone a
lot since I have it set up to receive and send emails via my Isp,
as well as for iMessaging.  Not too long ago I purchased KNFB
Reader, but I haven't done much with it yet.

I'm sorry I missed the speaker, since I tend to be somewhat leery
of Amazon.  It's a company with two many eggs in one basket in my
opinion, so how good that company is at any one thing is a matter
of question in my opinion.  How good Amazon is at security is
another question for me.  If that speaker hadn't brought along
equipment for a hands-on demonstration, so that I could assess
its accessability, I wouldn't buy from the guy, no matter how
good his spoken presentation.  There's also the matter of cost
per month for this added security.

I have yet to read the emails about this guy's presentation,
because I was out and about yesterday.  Today is another day, so
I'll see.

Usually, I send email from my iPhone, but not while it's
charging, so this will be sent from Voice Note.

There are my thoughts on the subjects of iPhone, storage, and
security.

Have a good day.

Brenda Mueller
Central Maryland Chapter NFB

<central-md-chapter at nfbnet.org
<central-md-chapter at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 07:49:08 -0500
>Subject: [Central-md-chapter] A review of the amazon echo

>Hi All,

>Jerry Price gave a wonderful presentation at our last champter
meeting.
>Sharon sent out a listof products he refferred to and URLs for
places that
>can be helpful in finding other products. I came across an
article that is a
>good review of the amazon echo and Amazon dot.  I will provide
the link to
>the article below. The reviewer has a whole section about how to
turn on and
>off lights in ytour home. Sharon asked on how that could be done
at the
>meeting. A concern of security was brought up. Both from a
constant
>listening point of view and from storage of credit card
information. I would
>like to point outthat like the Amazon echo listening for a
trigger word
>constantly Starting with the iPhone 6, Siri can be setup to
listen for your
>requests too. So instead of holding down the home button, you
just say the
>trigger word, Siri. As for the credit card and the storage of it
on your
>phone - I am not sure about all smart phones, but in order to
setup the app
>store on the iPhone, you have to store your credit card info. I
would have
>to double check this, but I believe the credit card info is
stored inside
>the app and not out in the cloud associated with some service. So
similarly
>ordering pizza the Pizza Hut app would have your credit card info
saved
>within it in case you use it offen.  So it is up to the app on
how it sets
>up security of your info. The Amazon echo or dot to my knowledge
would not
>have this info stored within its skills. The skills or templates
are
>instructions on how the Amazon echo interfaces / connects with
the existing
>apps already on your devices the Amazon echo has connection to
such as your
>phone.

>Here is the URL for the article I mentioned. Check it out.

>https://luisperezonline.com/2016/12/05/amazon-echo-as-an-accessib
ility-suppo
>rt/
><http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001CLBkezp2O4WjT2nT5fnhpyFi9OxluHvAi
diplgTayUqI
>IDTocP9kcBP6NH_0UAnz5-HwWKTjFnG4NEjmRaWAxVDgHi44SCDGZGhfkkq9J-y9m
zcZEshVU6SX
>W0uJDqo_4_OihcHiAEdU_dK8_E73woQhVJgCwddxxk6zefqsIO8vPs6dRPrZ8FN6I
YHdJqRsQqhJ
>tQsEf1IJ5QCTpzSQGFlB1MwfeyYKZuo8YIlsVKG-31kzm5kNW0JM4P353hp1&c=mk
og6dvD7nbrJ>f-hv3AJI4OSCuD-rlmpCXFLsfk5JCjk8UZYG11wRg==&ch=cRFrUK
isMVu-k_ucK90Do2jmWbCu7