[Central-MD-Chapter] NFB central Maryland chapter information updates

blind at trailstone.com blind at trailstone.com
Sat Aug 22 21:23:36 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I hope you are well and remaining healthy. The corona virus pandemic does
not seem to have an end in the near future. We are adjusting to how we all
are doing things. This includes our chapter. Our normal meeting place, The
Other Barn, has informed us that they will not be re-opening their doors
until at least January 2021. This means our monthly meetings will have to be
virtual for the rest of the year. Stay tuned for zoom connection
information. Meet the blind month activities will have to be modified.
Please come to the September meeting with new and creative ideas.

As you may of also heard, many NFB of Maryland key fundraising events have
been post-pone or cancelled.

Our joint annual picnic scheduled for September 13th has been cancelled.

Since the chapter and affiliate has invested a lot into Basket Bingo, we are
hopeful we can still have it on September 20th. If for some reason health
regulations change preventing it to occur or general attendee's safety is at
risk we already  have a backup date planned in November.

As you may of already seen in the July / August NFBMD minute message, the
NFBMD state convention is going to be virtual. Convention registration is
now available at http://nfbmd.org/convention/2020.

Please check out the following NFB publications.
. Maryland July / August Minute Message:
http://nfbmd.org/node/373

• Presidential Release #496, August 2020 (English Audio)
https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/2020-07/PR496%20August%202020.mp
3
This month, President Riccobono recaps the 2020 National Convention,
welcomes new members, and discusses our August 9 open house. He also looks
ahead to the fall, mentions important research around Walmart and
unemployment benefits, and provides updates regarding the Dream Makers
Circle and our monthly giving program .

• BRAILLE MONITOR June 2020 (Vol 63 No 6)
https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm20/bm2006/bm2006tc.htm

At our chapter meetings we do our best to listen to the latest NFB
presidential Release. Due to the timing of our meetings and when the
presidential release is made available, we do not get to listen to the
latest release. Always. Please make time to listen to the Presidential
release to hear what is happening within the NFB movement.
The latest Presidential Release can be found at
https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases
It was announced that all Presidential Releases will be virtual and recorded
on the first of the month for the rest of 2020.

Maryland minute message
The president of the NFB of Maryland sends out the Maryland minute message
on the last weekend of the month. The minute message contains all sort of
information about the NFB of Maryland happenings and movement. The minute
message can be found on the NFB of Maryland mailing lists, newsline, and on
the NFB of Maryland website under blog at http://nfbmd.org/blog

• Braille Monitor
https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/braille-monitor#main-co
ntent
The Braille Monitor is the flagship publication of the National Federation
of the Blind. It covers the events and activities of the NFB, addresses the
issues we face as blind people, and highlights our members.

Save These Dates:

•	August 29, 2020 – NFBMD Board of Directors Meeting, 10:00AM – 1:00PM
via Zoom
•	September 1, 2020  NFB Central Maryland chapter virtual meeting via
Zoom
•	September 20, 2020 – Basket and Bag Bingo at The Lodge, 2832 9 Mile
Cir. Catonsville, MD.
•	October 6, 2020  NFB Central Maryland chapter virtual meeting
•	October 15, 2020 White Cane Day
•	October 17, 2020 – Annual Crab Feast - Tall Cedars, 2501 Putty Hill
Ave., Parkville, MD 21234
•	November 3, 2020  NFB Central Maryland chapter virtual meeting –
LDDP technology guest speaker
•	November 6-8, 2020 – Annual State Convention, Everywhere
•	December 1, 2020  NFB Central Maryland chapter virtual meeting –
Guest speaker from Howard County Office of emergency Management
January 5, 2021  NFB Central Maryland chapter meeting and Holiday party at
The Other Barn
•	January 21, 2021 – NFBMD Day in Annapolis
•	February 6, 2021 – Regional Braille Challenge, Maryland School for
the Blind
•	February 8, 2021 – Washington Seminar Great Gathering In
•	February 9, 2021 – Maryland Day on the Hill
•	March 12, 2021 – Basket and Bag Bingo at The Lodge, 2832 9 Mile Cir.
Catonsville, MD.
•	July 6 -11, 2021 NFB national convention in New Orleans, LA
•	September 19 – 26, 2021 – Blind Cruising 2021, Carnival Pride,
Departing from Port of Baltimore

Graham Mehl
blind at trailstone.com
NFB Central Maryland Chapter, President
NFB of Maryland Website and Technology Committee, Chair
LCB graduate, 2016