[Central-MD-Chapter] NFB central Maryland chapter May 2020 information updates

blind at trailstone.com blind at trailstone.com
Sun May 10 20:05:47 UTC 2020

Hi all,
I hope you are well and remaining healthy.
Please check out the following NFB publications.
. Maryland April Minute Message:
http://nfbmd.org/node/348

. Presidential Release #494, May 2020 (English Audio)
https://www.nfb.org//images/nfb/audio/podcast/presidential-releases-en/may-r
elease-page-audio.mp3

During our April Chapter meeting We spoke about the 2020 national convention
and to the fact it will be virtual and free this year. It was highly
encouraged that people to register for the event at
https://nfb.org/convention
The National Federation of the Blind National Convention is the largest
gathering of blind people in the world.
It is the premier event for training, support, and information for the blind
community. It also serves as a governing body, democratically electing our
leadership and establishing each year's organizational priorities.
Members are requested and non-members are invited to register at no cost in
order to get access to exclusive offers, convention announcements, door
prizes,
and other exciting content.

Pam Goodman presented on Happy Advantage.
Five Actions to increase positivity

1. Write down 2-3 new things that you are grateful for every day. This helps
you scan for the positive
2. Journal daily for two minutes  about a positive activity in the past 24
hours. Allows your brain to relive it and get the benefit again.
3. Fifteen minutes of mindful Daily Exercise shows your brain the value of
discipline  and increases good body chemicals.
4. 5 minutes of daily Meditation teaches brain focus
5. Acts of kindness or pay it forward  - like sending a positive email daily
to those in your support network
Please try all of them to see which one works best for you and then practice
that one for 30 days to help make it a habit.

In summary: happiness is a major predictor of success and it is an advantage
we can cultivate for ourselves.
Happiness is the joy found in the pursuit of our potential. The happiness
advantage is not knowing we need to change but the realization that we can.

At our chapter meetings we do our best to listen to the latest NFB
presidential Release. Due to the timing of our meetings and when the
presidential release is made available, we do not get to listen to the
latest release. Always. Please make time to listen to the Presidential
release to hear what is happening within the NFB movement.
The latest Presidential Release can be found at
https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases

Maryland minute message
The president of the NFB of Maryland sends out the Maryland minute message
on the last weekend of the month. The minute message contains all sort of
information about the NFB of Maryland happenings and movement. The minute
message can be found on the NFB of Maryland mailing lists, newsline, and on
the NFB of Maryland website under blog at http://nfbmd.org/blog

Save These Dates:

.	June 2, 2020  NFB Central Maryland chapter meeting - will be virtual
.	June 4th Presidential Release live
.	June 1 - June 12, 2020 - NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition
.	June 15, 2020 - Final Payment Due for Blind Cruising 2020
.	June 22 - July 3, 2020 - NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition
.	. July 14 -18, 2020 - NFB National Convention, now is virtual
.	July 27 - August 7, 2020 - NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition
.	August 8, 2020 - Annual Crab Feast - Tall Cedars, 2501 Putty Hill
Ave., Parkville, MD 21234
.	August 21, 2020 - Basket and Bag Bingo at The Lodge, 2832 9 Mile
Cir. Catonsville, MD.
.	September 1, 2020  NFB Central Maryland chapter meeting at The Other
Barn
.	September 13, 2020 Central Maryland and Parents of blind children
joint annual picnic
.	September 19, 2020 - Scholarship Dinner and Bid for Opportunity at
VFW Post 9619, 6527 Suitland Rd, Morningside, MD
.	September 27 - October 4, 2020 - Blind Cruising 2020, Carnival
Pride, Departing from Port of Baltimore
.	October 6, 2020  NFB Central Maryland chapter meeting at The Other
Barn
.	November 3, 2020  NFB Central Maryland chapter meeting at The Other
Barn
.	November 6-8, 2020 - Annual State Convention, Towson, Maryland
.	December 1, 2020  NFB Central Maryland chapter meeting and Holiday
party at The Other Barn

Graham Mehl
blind at trailstone.com
NFB Central Maryland Chapter, President
NFB of Maryland Website and Technology Committee, Chair
LCB graduate, 2016