[Central-MD-Chapter] NFB central Maryland June 2021 chapter information updates

blind at trailstone.com blind at trailstone.com
Thu Jun 17 00:45:47 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I hope you are well and remaining healthy.

Well it is June, so that means family vacations, cicadas are filling our
trees, and our chapter will stop meeting until September 7 2021.
Unfortunately, the June meeting guest speaker had an emergency and could not
attend our meeting to present on Gardening. Until we can arrange for him to
present at a different time, you can look him up on facebook:
Facebook page called: Blind Family Gardening: From Dirt to Table

Below are a few general announcements followed by the 3 usual NFB
publications that are so critical to checkout.

The 2021 national convention is coming...
Is this your first convention or do you need a review of what to expect?
Mark your calendar for the Rookie Roundup meeting scheduled for Tuesday,
June 29 at 8:30 p.m. ET.
Register Today ! (
https://www.nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=432)
Registration is now open and free! Get access to the latest information as
it is made available and more. While there is no registration fee to attend
the National Federation of the Blind 2021 National Convention, please
consider a donation if you are in a position to do so. There is a donation
option available during the registration process. Your support is greatly
appreciated.

For more information, please visit nfb.org/convention. We look forward to
your participation in the biggest event of the year!!

We are offering several tours to pique your curiosity at the NFB national
convention. The themes of these tours are ingenuity and infrastructure,
which are the basic features of a system or organization. We have two tours
that describe the infrastructure of important organizations: the National
Federation of the Blind headquarters and the Goddard Space Flight Center. We
also have two tours that will delight history buffs: the Harriet Tubman
Museum tour describes the infrastructure of the Underground Railroad, which
enabled enslaved people to flee to freedom. The B&O Railroad Museum tour
describes the early infrastructure of rail transportation. All of these
tours highlight American ingenuity.

Lounge wear is the uniform of the virtual meeting so be sure to order your
comfortable NFB scrubs for national convention from the host affiliate, the
National Federation of the Blind of Maryland. NFB Convention Scrubs are what
all the cool members will be wearing at virtual banquet!

This set of scrubs contains both a short-sleeved scrub top and drawstring
scrub pants, both with pockets. The set is navy blue and both the top and
pants feature a charming red crab with the NFB logo in white as well as the
words “It’s a Maryland thing” in white writing.

Scrubs are available via the link below in sizes 2X Small, X small, small,
medium, large, X Large, 2X Large, 3X Large, and 4X Large. They are also
available in limited supply in Tall sizes for Mediums and above. Those
interested in tall sizes should email Convention at nfbmd.org or call
443-426-4110.

 $45 per scrub set including shipping

In order to ensure delivery prior to Convention, orders must be received by
June 25, 2021

Visit http://nfbmd.org/scrubs

Survivor Taskforce June Calendar of Events
•	Saturday, June 19: Communications and Engagements Meeting 4pm
Eastern
•	Sunday, June 20: Training and Culture meeting 3pm Eastern
•	Tuesday, June 22: Procedures and Oversight meeting 8pm Eastern
•	Monday, June 28: Monthly feature on Nation’s Blind Blog

Please check out the following NFB publications.
• February / March 2021 Minute Message
http://nfbmd.org/node/459
In This Issue ...
NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition!
Complete and Share the NFB Diversity and Inclusion Survey
Do You Feel Lucky?
NFBMD Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Initiatives
Access to COVID-19 Testing and Vaccine Resources
NFBMD COVID-19 Emergency Response Fund
Blind Cruising 2021
Maryland Braille Readers Are Leaders!
Important Upcoming Dates

• June 2021 presidential release
President Riccobono delivers the presidential release before a live virtual
audience. He provides details regarding the national convention, celebrates
our LGBTQIA+ community for Pride, reviews legal and advocacy updates, and
more.
• Presidential Release #506, June 2021 (English Audio)
https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/2021-06/pr506_short_version.mp3

• BRAILLE MONITOR June 2021
https://nfb.org//images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2106/bm2106tc.htm

At our chapter meetings we do our best to listen to the latest NFB
presidential Release. Due to the timing of our meetings and when the
presidential release is made available, we do not get to listen to the
latest release. Always. Please make time to listen to the Presidential
release to hear what is happening within the NFB movement.
The latest Presidential Release can be found at
https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases

Maryland minute message
The president of the NFB of Maryland sends out the Maryland minute message
on the last weekend of the month. The minute message contains all sort of
information about the NFB of Maryland happenings and movement. The minute
message can be found on the NFB of Maryland mailing lists, newsline, and on
the NFB of Maryland website under blog at http://nfbmd.org/blog

• Braille Monitor
https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/braille-monitor#main-co
ntent
The Braille Monitor is the flagship publication of the National Federation
of the Blind. It covers the events and activities of the NFB, addresses the
issues we face as blind people, and highlights our members.

Save These Dates:
–	June 18, 2021 - NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition - Session 1: June 7

-	July 6, at 8:30 p.m. NFB convention Rookie Roundup
-	June 30, 2021 at 8pm eastern: Open House for perspective members.
-	July 6 – 10, 2021 NFB National Convention, virtual - host affiliate:
Maryland
-	July 19 – July 30, 2021 – - NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition -
Session 2
-	August 7, 2021 – – NFBMD Crab Feast, Parkville, Maryland
-	August 9 – August 20, 2021 - NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition -
Session 3
-	September 7, 2021 - Central Maryland chapter meeting at 6:30 P.M.
-	September 10, 2021 – Basket and Bag Bingo, Catonsville, Maryland
-	September 18, 2021 - NFBMD Central Maryland chapter annual picnic
-	September 19 – 26, 2021 – Blind Cruising 2021, Carnival Pride,
Departing from Port of Baltimore
September 29, 2021 at 8pm eastern: Open House for perspective members.
-	October 5, 2021 - Central Maryland chapter meeting at 6:30 P.M.
-	November 2, 2021 - Central Maryland chapter meeting at 6:30 P.M.
-	November 12 – 14, 2021 – NFB of Maryland 55th Annual Convention,
Baltimore, Maryland
-	December 7, 2021 - Central Maryland chapter meeting at 6:30 P.M. -
holiday party and chapter elections
-	December 8 at 8pm eastern: Open House for perspective members.

Graham Mehl
blind at trailstone.com
NFB Central Maryland Chapter, President
NFB of Maryland Website and Technology Committee member
LCB graduate, 2016