[Central-MD-Chapter] NFB central Maryland chapter information updates

blind at trailstone.com blind at trailstone.com
Tue Mar 9 21:59:47 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I hope you are well and remaining healthy.

You can definitely tell Spring is in the air. Warmer temperatures, We get to
set our clocks ahead an hour this coming weekend on March 14th, and so much
more like registering for national convention. At the last meeting we
started a new agenda item of highlighting activities at the NFB national
convention. We also covered NFBMD legislative letter writing we are actively
doing. We celebrated Alexander Graham Bell's birthday by discussing the
impact of how phones have made on our lives including the blind community.

Below are three general announcements followed by the 3 usual NFB
publications that are so critical to checkout.

the NFB of Maryland National Convention Host Committee will have its first
planning meeting.  All are welcome, including those members who have not
been appointed to the Committee, as this will be a brainstorming and tasking
session.
The meeting will be 8PM on Wednesday, March 10, 2021.  The access
information is below.

Topic: National Convention Host Committee Meeting
Time: Mar 10, 2021 08:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/6248138327?pwd=eTZlYUgwR3ZQVVl1dXBLSHcrbml1QT09

Meeting ID: 624 813 8327
Passcode: 63263
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,6248138327# US (Chicago)

National Federation of the Blind 2021 National Convention
Tuesday, July 6 through Saturday, July 10, 2021
Anywhere and Everywhere #NFB21
Stronger Together: Transforming and Unifying Our Future
Attend the premier event for the blind community and take advantage of the
opportunity to:
•	Network with thousands of blind role models
•	Connect with leaders in the field of blindness
•	Attend presentations on a variety of empowering topics
•	Learn about the latest in technology and innovation
•	And more!
The National Federation of the Blind is a transformative membership and
advocacy organization of blind people. Every day we raise the expectations
of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. Through this unique event, we will connect blind
Americans from anywhere to build opportunities everywhere.
Schedule Outline
The schedule for the 2021 convention is:
•	Tuesday, July 6:  Seminars & Specialized Meetings
•	Wednesday, July 7:  Board Meeting & Resolutions
•	Thursday, July 8:  Division Meetings & Opening Ceremony
•	Friday, July 9:  Presidential Report & General Session
•	Saturday, July 10:  Business Session & Banquet

Is this your first convention or do you need a review of what to expect?
Mark your calendar for the Rookie Roundup meeting scheduled for Tuesday,
June 29 at 8:30 p.m. ET.
Register Today ! (
https://www.nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=432)
Registration is now open and free! Get access to the latest information as
it is made available and more. While there is no registration fee to attend
the National Federation of the Blind 2021 National Convention, please
consider a donation if you are in a position to do so. There is a donation
option available during the registration process. Your support is greatly
appreciated.

For more information, please visit nfb.org/convention. We look forward to
your participation in the biggest event of the year!!

New initiatives are happening at the national and state levels for diversity
and inclusion as well as the new survivors task force. More information
about the survivors task force can be found at www.nfb.org/survivors

Our survivor-led taskforce has established three branches to accomplish the
mission to ensure a safe, healthy environment throughout our movement.
Our three branches are holding open calls for survivors and allies to get
involved in our efforts or to bring concerns. Please join and learn more
about our initiatives.
The following are events of the safety and support initiatives:

Open Meetings for Task Force Branches:
Each of the three branches are holding open calls for members and
non-members, survivors/allies alike. These calls will be for information
sharing, feedback capturing, and figuring out how people in the community
can get involved in our work. If you are unable to submit forms, please feel
free to call our extension at 2238 or email us and we can get you the
information for the upcoming meetings.

Training and Culture: starting Sunday, February 7 at 3:00 p.m. eastern and
will continue every other Sunday until July 11
Communications and Engagement: Saturday, February 13 at 4:00 p.m. eastern
Procedures and Oversight: Monday, February 15 at 8pm eastern.

Please check out the following NFB publications.
• December 2020/January 2021 Minute Message
http://nfbmd.org/node/455
In This Issue ...
Open Letter of Apology
Successful Week in Annapolis!
Washington Seminar Is Coming!
NFB and NFBMD Scholarship Programs
do You Feel Lucky?
NFBMD COVID-19 Emergency Response Fund
Important Upcoming Dates

• March 2021 presidential release
President Riccobono delivers the presidential release before a live virtual
audience. He provides updates regarding our advocacy efforts, recent letters
written to Congress, the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act, national
convention, Independence Market specials, 2021 NFB BELL Academy In Home
Edition, and
more.
list of 4 items
• Presidential Release #503, March 2021 (English Audio)
https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/2021-03/pr503_final_0.mp3

• BRAILLE MONITOR March 2021
https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2103/bm2103tc.htm

At our chapter meetings we do our best to listen to the latest NFB
presidential Release. Due to the timing of our meetings and when the
presidential release is made available, we do not get to listen to the
latest release. Always. Please make time to listen to the Presidential
release to hear what is happening within the NFB movement.
The latest Presidential Release can be found at
https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases

Maryland minute message
The president of the NFB of Maryland sends out the Maryland minute message
on the last weekend of the month. The minute message contains all sort of
information about the NFB of Maryland happenings and movement. The minute
message can be found on the NFB of Maryland mailing lists, newsline, and on
the NFB of Maryland website under blog at http://nfbmd.org/blog

• Braille Monitor
https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/braille-monitor#main-co
ntent
The Braille Monitor is the flagship publication of the National Federation
of the Blind. It covers the events and activities of the NFB, addresses the
issues we face as blind people, and highlights our members.

Save These Dates:
April 6, 2021 - Central Maryland chapter meeting at 6:30 P.M.
May 4, 2021 - Central Maryland chapter meeting at 6:30 P.M.
June 1, 2021 - Central Maryland chapter meeting at 6:30 P.M.
July 6 – 11, 2021 – NFB National Convention, virtual - host affiliate:
Maryland
August 7, 2021 – NFBMD Crab Feast, Parkville, Maryland
September 7, 2021 - Central Maryland chapter meeting at 6:30 P.M.
September 10, 2021 – Basket and Bag Bingo, Catonsville, Maryland
September 19 – 26, 2021 – Blind Cruising 2021, Carnival Pride, Departing
from Port of Baltimore
October 5, 2021 - Central Maryland chapter meeting at 6:30 P.M.
November 2, 2021 - Central Maryland chapter meeting at 6:30 P.M.
November 12 – 14, 2021 – NFB of Maryland 55th Annual Convention, Baltimore,
Maryland
December 7, 2021 - Central Maryland chapter meeting at 6:30 P.M. - holiday
party and chapter elections
Graham Mehl
blind at trailstone.com
NFB Central Maryland Chapter, President
NFB of Maryland Website and Technology Committee member
LCB graduate, 2016