[HIABS] Parental Rights Resolution Passed Final House Committee

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Thu Apr 5 07:56:46 UTC 2018

Aloha, my Federation Ohana,

Today, our parental rights resolution passed its final House committee, the Committee on Judiciary.

This resolution now has the potential to be back in Josh Green's Senate Committee on Human Services for a Senate hearing. This resolution will not change the law but will request that our state act as if the law does protect our right to parent. This is like a primer to pass the bill in the future but also helps protect our rights to a lesser degree in the meantime.

Here's a link to the measure status page: https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=HCR&billnumber=162&year=2018

Mahalo to all those who have testified in support of our parental rights initiative. Your testimonies from past hearings carried this resolution all the way through the House. We will have to double down with the Senate again because Senator Brian Taniguchi, from Manoa, the Chair of the Senate Committee on Judiciary, has been blocking our efforts so far. With enough support from enough people, we might be able to get this one to finish its way through our legislature. I'll be back in touch as soon as we are ready for more testimony.

A hui hou,

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury, MA, NOMC, NCRTB, NCUEB
Legislative Committee Chair
Honolulu Chapter
National Federation of the Blind of Hawaii
Phone: 808.797.8606
Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu<mailto:President at Alumni.ECU.edu>
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-salisbury

"Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot un-educate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore."

Cesar Chavez