[humanser] the homeless blind

Julie Russell jar90880 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 14 15:53:34 UTC 2008

Hello,

I also worked in two positions that were at least in part funded by a
coalition for the homeless.

The first was for women that were homeless and mentally ill often with a few
additional Axis I disorders and the second was a transitional homeless
shelter (18 months) where I provided therapy to the population with Axis I
disorders.  Thinking back to that time (mid to late 1990) what strikes me is
the complete lack of people with other disabilities.  Like you JD - where
were they?

I remember once the first organization I worked for out of grad school noted
to a woman with grand mal seizures that the organization did not have the
medical care to assist her.  We were housed across the street from an ER in
Uptown New Orleans.  I remember a large disagreement regarding this and left
the agency shortly after.  The client had many years on the street and the
seizures were secondary to drug abuse.  I knew if I ever saw her on the
street it would be hard.  We were wrong.
I found another position and moved on.  The organization changed directors
and improved.

In the two years I worked in those positions though I never admitted anyone
that was blind or had a physical disability such as wheelchair or deaf.

New Orleans is poor and in so many ways our statistics are of a third world
country.  We have a chronic shortage of housing.

The years I spent in Bethesda working residential with teens never saw a
physical disability.  The agency pulled from DC/ MD, and Northern VI for
clients.  This area is not faced with the economic difficulties New Orleans
has.

I too am left to wonder.

Julie Russell, LCSW
New Orleans