[humanser] newly blind

Vicky Winslow vicky at well.com
Tue Dec 16 13:36:39 UTC 2008

One of the problem areas to which Interpersonal Therapy is oriented is sudden disability or injury. I always like that this modality
addressed the adjustment directly. I have never seen another therapeutic modality that directly addresses adaptation to a physical
loss .

As to phone therapy, it makes me uncomfortable. Though it may appear so at first, I don't think that it is the same as our lack of
vision in a face to face session. There is an intangible something present when two people engage in an in person  dialog that is
missing over the phone. I think that the physical presence of a therapist allows us to pick up cues about a client that are missing
over the phone and, in turn,  allows the client to feel supported.

Therapy over the phone and over the internet disturbs me. Sometimes, the act of a client getting out of the house and coming to a
session is, in itself, therapeutic.

Vicky Winslow, LMSW